Friday, February 3, 2017

One sport at a time

Over the few years dear blog, I picked up a few hobbies here and there, you know like reading, blogging, cooking and gardening (very recently). All these of course, cannot by any means be called passions but they help me unwind and de-clutter. I was confident that any well-meaning individual does not need any more in life to thrive and sustain. But well, like always I was wrong. This revelation happened suddenly, in the last month or so when in our new society, a sports fest was underway. There were a host of watsapp groups, posters, discussions regarding rules, individual sports, team formations, strategy, practice sessions and the like. I told myself, it isn’t my cup of tea, not my kind of stuff, so I ignored everything and got back to my regular routine. But then, you know how some events get the better of you and so did the Sports Fest. Every-time, I stepped out of the house or glanced at my phone, someone would casually ask “hey, do you play this” and I without an iota of shame, said “nope, never”.  In my mind, I laughed often on the enthusiasm and the seriousness with which the list of events was planned – football, throwball, volleyball, cricket – men and women, badminton – men and women, table tennis – men and women, dodgeball, chess, carom, pool and many more. I thought what a spectacle it would be to watch a bunch of women and men play these sports, it would be spectacularly funny, if nothing else. But alas, could I be more wrong than that. And thus one fine Friday evening started the Sports fest, with much fanfare, amidst chaos and loud cheering. 

The start was slow, sluggish and I smiled to myself, I told you so. But dear blog, over the next few days, was I amazed, inspired or completely in awe. It is difficult to pin point what made me look forward to the sports that I never cared for. Men and women of all ages came together and gave such a fight to each mother. New mothers, middle aged men and school going children none of them shied away from being put in the spot. They fell, they fought but they competed with all their might. It was super impressive, for many people participated in a Sports fest possibly after at least a decade if not more. 

In our country, sports is so underrated that hardly anyone thinks of picking sports up as hobby, forget career. If parents or adults have to choose between a regular job and a shot at say a football career, majority will go with the former thus squashing a budding footballer into nothingness. When in a housing society of only a couple of hundred people, had so many excellent players, how would it be if the base was larger. Believe me you, dear blog the Sports Fest really helped people know and uplift each other. It was heartening to see the men cutting down a few working hours to help the women bowl, bat and field. While a lot of people had bruises, muscle pulls and body aches, it was all worth it for it involved adrenalin rush and challenging oneself.

All of us at some point, get inspired by stories of the now famed Geeta-Babita and the forever champions Roger-Rafa, but my inspiration has come from the stellar women and men who I saw live in our sports ground. No no, don’t get me wrong, I have no fancy plans and if you would have seen me running a 100 meter relay you would realize how I should not even think in that direction. But I want to pick up a sport this year, for the thrill, the joy and the hard-work that it entails. You may see fewer blog posts but definitely a bigger sports lover. To being wiser and fitter. 

No comments: