Sunday, November 30, 2014

I am NOT a domestically challenged bride!!

When I blogged yesterday dear blog, about how life moves and priorities change, I was writing what is true for me, no way it compared with anyone else's way of living their lives. But today I am writing for a reason. I went through an article online about being a domestically challenged bride, which in effect talked about how a working woman should not be measued by her cooking skills etc. A working woman, the article argued had so much to offer like being worldly wise, being an advisor to husband and hence it, made no sense for the woman to take interest in trivial stuff like cooking and cleaning. Well, well, I disagree in huge measure. First, why should a woman be measured at all, working or non working. Isn't she a complete being in her thoughts and actions, if she reads a lot or a little, if she cooks or not, if she works in a company or not, should these be the deciding factors while judging a being, I think not.

The second and the more important issue I have is about how trivialised domestic matters have become. While, let me say upfront that I have a help who cooks and cleans for us but that in no way means that I don't take interest in domestic matters. I work for at least 10 hours a day, I like to read and write and I like trying out new recipes and keeping my house super clean. I  do it, not to prove a point but because I like it. It lets me appreciate small, simpler things of life. I don't understand this fad of being super proud because a person doesn't like to cook or clean. Please note, I have used the word "person" because it's high time, we stop stereotypes, like a working woman, can't cook or a woman who is not an avid reader cannot advise in worldly matters. While, I write this, my heart goes out to all those people who don't work and don't cook, how miserable would those people feel, worthless to say the least.

I have observed so many times that whenever I tell someone in my peer group or office, that all I did over the weekend was cooking and cleaning, people look at me with contempt. Isn't that funny dear blog, why should I always have to sound like this super ambitious girl who doesn't care about how a house is run. I care about how my house is run and so I devote some time every day/weekend to ensure that everything is proper. After all, it's our house, my partner and I are not doing a favour to anyone else by doing such trivial stuff but only ourselves. By the way, the same set of people who mock me for being "domesticated" also expect that their partners who are working and slogging hard in office should contribute towards domestic affairs. Why such hypocrisy?!?

I feel dear blog, that there is a tendency to exaggerate simple things. My mantra in life, is simple, if painting gives you a high then paint till your heart's content, if you like to cook, go ahead cook, if all you like is working , then do that, and if you are someone like me, who likes to do both, then so be it. It is not a matter of pride or shame, it is just a matter of choices! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is spot on!. I really loved it. Thanks for writing this.

twinkle garg said...

Yes, I have been looking for this all day better now than never!

deck flooring supplier in india