Sunday, August 3, 2014

Super women!

I have always felt dear blog, that we are a very restricted society,  a society that has clear boundaries about should and should not. Children are taught at an early age, about what they should do, how they should talk, what they should be when they grow up, what they should give importance to and so on. It is little that is left to the child for the decide or hope for. People like me who conform to most of what they have been told, have it easy and the rest, only God save them.

Over a period of two decades or so, the boundaries have become slightly more flexible, rules a little less stringent and are we grateful about it. You bet.

I have been closely following the Commonwealth games tally this year and I feel ecstatic. We have women wrestlers getting the gold glory for us. Isn't that amazing, I mean in a country like ours, to grow up as a woman and then take up wrestling. Wow! While this itself is a big big feat, the a lot of these awesome girls come from the state of Haryana, a state with an abysmally poor sex ratio.

You know dear blog, when I went to St Stephen's to study, I knew that there is a certain percentage of seats reserved for students with a sports background, how I used to feel, that they have it easy. Little did I realise, that they have it more difficult than any of the other kids who got to study at the prestigious institute by scoring high marks. For they did, that was only little appreciated by the society at large.

While I feel that we have come a long way and there is hope for women and sports, it is disappointing to see how little we speak about them. How the victory and glory they bring soon gets relegated into the background. I wish we would talk more, give them more encouragement, make them brand ambassadors, put up their hoardings for they truly make us proud. Wrestlers, boxers, squash players, shooters, all of whom keep the Indian flag waving high.




No comments: