Friday, August 15, 2014

Show some love

It's that day again, dear blog when a lot of us listen to all those awesome patriotic songs, watch the flag getting unfurled, put a lot of #jaihind statuses, pin up small tricolour batches on the shirts and feel a lot of pride of having born in India. But little do we remember the next day, or that very day, that this isn't love. This is more like wishing a friend on Facebook for his/her birthday, you know the wish, that lacks personal touch or emotion. It's more like convenience than anything else.

 A nation in which you are born has an indelible mark on your life, like may be your parents. With parents, you have your set of differences and skirmishes, there are traits that you dislike but then they are what they are and mean the whole world to you. Unfortunately, a large part of people (including me) that I know or read about do not even remotely care about the nation, that they are born in. It is this thing that we take granted for, a thing that will continue to bear us for even when we are at our ugliest. If only, there was some tiny tweeny bit of fear, of being thrown out of a country, of knowing that I won,t belong here. how would we be. Different? My guess is as good as yours.

I can't even possibly list down the things by which we show our apathy but believe you me, we behave like filth. Like we haven't ever been to school, we haven't ever been taught the good things, the basic things. You should see the street that I cross every day to reach my office, which by the way is less than a kilometre away from Bandra Kurla Complex. When I go in the morning, there are at least 15-20 kids lined up on the sidewalk, relieving themselves, and while I come back in the evening, there are at least the same number of pigs and dogs,trying themselves to feed from that garbage dump. Everyday, I think and sometimes even dream that one day while I am crossing that road, there will be public toilets but then I wake up and find, not as yet. This is still at an institutional level, in some way but there are so many other things that is at our level. Following the traffic light, not abusing each other in the road, keeping our streets, our blocks clean and in general be gentle and nice to other people. How difficult can that be, I think and I think hard, it must be really difficult for if a nation with so much of talent, can't do it, then may be no one can. But alas, that isn't true. It's just that we don't love our nation and the day we will show a little bit of love, a lot will change and change for the better.

Anyway, I hate to end my posts with a low, so I won't, click at the video link below and smile, for change is coming, slowly but steadily.

http://www.storypick.com/can-india-change/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How responsible we are in treating public property? I can vouch in most public toilets most fixtures including dividers, are stolen.Even steel plates of newly installed escalator at Kalyan station were stolen even with 24 hours security presence!Manhole covers are regularly stolen.
How many persons who actually need to be educated and sensitised have internet knowledge and access to see the clip!

Satyadev said...

neha,slnce the video clip was already viral bofore your posted on your blog shows that lot more persons share your concern.I had received it twice on my whatsapp and once in my group Rotary mails!
Glad that your young generation is showing concern too! Good effort.

jessica priscillia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sherlina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.