Thursday, June 19, 2014

Heroes of the war!

When I used to be based in Delhi office dear blog, I had this person cross me many times. Short, straight faced with a loud voice. I sometimes said a casual hello to him and at other times didn't. For no reason, at all. I don't know what I thought about him because may be I didn't.

I met him again today, here in Khandala where we were going through this case study about Kargil War. It was about this one particular day when Captain Rakesh was asked if he was up for moving towards Kargil. The impeccable Captain that he was, he answered in affirmative. The case then described in vivid detail the preparation, Captain Rakesh's actions, demeanor and the troop which he was leading; towards a terrain that was not just difficult but most hostile.

This person who worked on the same floor as I did, went on to explain further about the Kargil war, about the realities which only the soldiers and their commanders go through. The more he said, the more I felt indebted to the countless soldiers who laid down their lives for the nation. The person went on to create imagery about the warfare, the strategy, the tactical nuances and the million emotions that he went through during the war. It was an unconventional war, a war for pride, a war for reclaiming what was rightfully ours.

My eyes welled with tears and my body got shivers while watching the 10 minute clip which he presented. What would it be like, to be there, for hours and days together; in midst of firing, enemies and death. My imagination fails me and so do my words. The person said there are no runner ups in a war, you win it all or you lose it all. It was clear by now that the person in front, the same person who I saw working on my floor is the Captain Rakesh Sharma, one of the heroes of the Kargil War.

Captain Rakesh Sharma fought all odds to restore the honor of the nation. He came back victorious and the nation celebrated. He was awarded with Shaurya Chakra and rightly so for his valor was outstanding. We applauded emphatically and he said humbly, "my biggest pride was that none of my soldiers ever died, I promised myself that and I lived upto it".

What strength of character dear blog, what an amazing feat to achieve. I felt so small for having passed by him so many times without acknowledging who and what he is. I chided myself but couldn't keep myself from reaching to him. I congratulated him for having done something so admirable and spectacular. He blushed and said.. It isn't spectacular, just normal. 
What humility, what a sense of purpose!
Take a bow, Major Rakesh Sharma, you make a billion people proud.

1 comment:

Satyadev said...

loved this voice from your heart!