Sunday, April 13, 2014

Chooda, my pretty pretty chooda

It was exactly five months back, that I got up, dressed myself in a nice but not brand new salwaar-kameez. Mom had to convince me for quite a many days before I decided that I will not buy a new outfit for that day. It is believed that a girl should wear old clothes and then give it away but I told mom, that isn't happening. We mutually decided on something which looked traditional. I also wore matching danglers, I tied my hair in a simple braid. When my grandmom, uncles and aunts, Jhai Ji, Chachu, Chachi, Mamu, Mami saw me, they said I looked beautiful and a true blue Punjabi. I liked that. Before, I could talk more, mom called me and said, the ceremony is going to start. I shouldn't delay else we will all get late. I went and sat, slightly nervous, slightly happy for something very real, very special was going to happen. The pandit Ji, said some prayers, did a few things and then I closed my eyes. I was going to wear Chooda, the only mark of a newly-wed, as I understood when I was four. Both my Mamu-Mami, took one arm each and slowly and carefully slided down the maroon and cream bangles. I wanted to cry and I did. A very beautiful Punjabi folk song was sung in the background - sada chidiyaan daa. It was an emotional moment and I lived it, moment by moment. When I opened my eyes, a few minutes later, I saw my arms, covered with handkerchiefs so that I don't see Chooda. I lived through the day, without trying to look at my arms. In the evening, while I was getting dressed as a bride, all I wanted to do was see how my chooda looked. It was pretty dear blog, very very pretty. I touched it many times, moved it whatever space was left in my arms.

I have such sweet memories of my chooda that I can't help but smile; from random people asking in office lift for sweets to old ladies in NewZealand asking where they could buy those pretty bangles. I used to be perpetually in awe of my chooda. Amazing, isn't it, how things become so real, that they become a part of one's identity. Today, 5 months hence I have carefully taken out half the bangles and kept the other half in my arms. Oh! I miss them already. Happy pictures from November, 13 and November 14 2013 :-)



2 comments:

Anjali said...

nice post di... made me remember my own good days... I love my Chooda too and have kept safely in my almirah...its a lovely feeling :)

Neha Dua said...

Yes, I think Chooda is very special for a lot of girls! I love mine more than anything else :-)