Tuesday, December 25, 2012

I haven't kept in touch dear blog and for obvious reasons. I hate it when there is so much negativity around. A girl was gang raped, almost killed and thrown out of a moving bus; the furore around is only a testimony that even the most apathetic are moved. Such sad are the state of affairs that I can't even get myself to express my views on the subject.

To call this a rape case will be undermining the the nature of the ghastly act that it was. Words fail me and all I can say that the fiber with which a man was defined has been eroded. The gruesome, horrific and barbaric act demands nothing but punishment which befits the act. The punishment now has to act as a deterrent which thus far has never happened. The kids which grow up today need to respect and value a woman and not treat her as an object of desire.

My prayers go out for the battling soul and for the family which faces deep anguish. My heart shudders to think of all the times, when I traveled alone or with a friend thinking that I am safe, that I am appropriately dressed, that there is Police and other citizens at guard, that I can scream and ask for help just in case..

You know dear blog, whilst a lot of us read, write, protest, boil with anger, no one, absolutely NO ONE can empathize. It is all but natural to read about someone else who has been through a tragedy and feel the agony. A rape or a murder or whatsoever else, our mind is conditioned in a way to think that it is a newspaper story or at the max, it can happen only with some one else and not with me or any one related to me. But it does, every single day, it happens with some one, some one whom I may know through a common friend or an old school or would have crossed in a mall.

I can see palpable tension around in the eyes of the people who care for me. My worried parents couldn't take their mind off me when my flight to Mumbai got delayed for a couple of hours, my friends who asked me to swear that never again, I am going to ask a passerby to behave in public, my colleagues at work who try and ensure that I reach home safely every day. What has life come to, it is dictated by diktats and I can't even raise a voice for I happen to be born a girl and all said & done, I want to lead a scar free, long healthy life.

8 comments:

Satyadev said...

In our history and mythology men have generally treated women as property, objects, a trophy to be won (Sita Swamber),a bait(An Apsara for Vishwamitra) and rarely as a person. But they were always treated with respect and dignity.Even Ravana never tried to molest Sita.He awaited her consent.
Rapists and molesters are worse than Ravana whose effigies we burn every year.

Satyadev said...

News item today:
Since 2007, political parties gave tickets to 20 rape accused to fight in state elections. This is shocking and requires urgent action,” Jagdeep Chhokar, the founder of ADR, said.
“The politicians who come out to condemn rape are the ones who are openly giving the rape accused a chance to fight elections. This is hypocrisy,” he told AFP.

The report stated that political parties had also given tickets to 260 men who were charged with other crimes against women, including molestation.

Satyadev said...

Nirbhaya dies.
A day of national shame.
Soon there will be more laws for security of women, but we know all laws are for law abiding citizens who in any case do not need laws and act responsibly without any laws!
Law breakers will discover ways to evade the law like many(not all) politicians.
Wondering at lack of more comments on such a serious issue!

Madhur Chadha said...

sad day for India,,,,
hence proved..our leaders are incapable of protecting the women
What government teaches us

Satyadev said...

Malala Yousafzai on Twitter.
Quote:
"The rapists dumped her on the road.The government dumped her in Singapore.What is the difference?"
(Times of India today)

Satyadev said...

Looking at volume of news of rape and molestation every day even after recent huge uproar,and news of ongoing scams equally taking up space,some newspapers are considering permanent Rape and molestation page,scam page like the sports page so that real news do not get overshadowed!

Piyush said...

Lot of actions are initiated and lots of action can be taken. But all these are post actions of rape that would ensure actions are taken on time against Convicts, what about bringing change in society so that they will be no victims , i dont see much happening in that front. Why not deal it as typical positioning problem and change that in society? Obviously it will be slow process but definitely a sustainable one...

Satyadev said...

'women will pay like Sita if they cross limits" said MP industry minister.Further he said "there is a moral limit which should not be breached, one must understand that Ravana is watching,then sita is bound to be abducted".(Times of India)
Mr. Minister do limits and Laxman Rekha exists for women only?