Sunday, November 11, 2012

The nights and the lights

Nights and lights, aren't they similar sounding words. Words which mean very different things but sound so similar. No no, dear blog, I am not going to write about phonetics today but about a revelation which I had right now.

As a child in school, I had learnt what causes days and nights. It had to do with the rotation of earth around the sun and on its own axis. Now, many many years later, the scientific reason has ceased to exist and I feel that nights exist so that tired eyes, pained bodies and restless souls get some relief. It is an extraordinary way in which people lose touch with their conscious level and relax for few hours. My mom commented once something to the effect of:

Thank God, for there are nights
Hunger, pain, worries, cold
All get some fleeting respite

Lights serve a somewhat similar purpose. Diwali is round the corner and it is beautiful to see houses, streets, arcades being lit up with all kinds of colorful, ostentatious, graceful lights. With lights all around, I have seen the mood being enlivened. The hunger, the pain, the cold remains but all of it has alleviated for sometime. You know dear blog, people need reasons to be joyous about and festivals are these reasons. A week or so before, when I was excitedly hopping in Durga Puja pandals, I saw, how happy people were. The same people, who washed, cooked, cleaned in the morning, wore their best clothes and had the seemingly sumptuous but unhealthy food with glee. The help at our home - Chanda told me that she is on leave but she wants to come and get a picture clicked with me. I smiled and said of course. She came as promised, looking like this pretty, girl next door. Her enthusiasm knew no limits. She got me a box of sweets too and then merrily we went about smiling and posing.

Thank you God for the nights and thank you Mr Edison for the lights! :)

1 comment:

Satyadev said...

Lot is happening around us at breakneck speed.
How about your personal blog on 1.Malala Yuosafzai? 2.Yuvraj
I know a lot has been written already but courage needs acknowledgement from every quarter.
To day a girl of 21 was arrested by Police in Mumbai for questioning on facebook the logic of Mumbai shutdown yesterday!