Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ordinary people, extraordinary lives

I was coming home by the metro today, and as much as I wanted it to run faster, it moved at its own pace, one station after the other. I kept counting the stations between Chhatarpur and Rajiv Chowk. After some good forty minutes when I finally thought just one more to go, someone caught my eye.

There was a lady on the wheelchair, who was being helped to get inside the metro. She had some speech and hearing difficulty too. She fidgeted with her phone but it wouldn't work. I kept looking at her but she didn't look back. In the mad rush which boards at Rajiv Chowk, I felt worried but she didn't care. I somehow reached her and asked, where she wanted to get down. She said "Rajiv Chowk". Three of us (me and two other girls), helped to move the wheelchair out when a guard came rushing. He looked at my harried face and said she commutes everyday. He also told that he will get her to board the metro to Dwarka. I went along with them, for I wasn't sure how she will manage. On the five minute distance towards the blue line, I asked what she did, she said, she works at Bangla Sahib. She sold something which I didn't fully understand. I asked if there is someone at her home, she said "Sab hain". She asked me where I worked, I said in a Bank, she then told me, she is not educated however she is working so that her son will be one day, who is currently in tenth standard. I smiled at this, for my mind had gone blank. I touched her lightly, she caressed my hand and said that I should get going. She boarded the metro to Dwarka and I saw a girl looking at her, with the same harried expression which I had a little while ago.

An ordinary looking woman, with ordinary goals but extraordinary determination. I still can't fathom how she reaches home everyday, how she sells, how she manages to send her child to school. But she does, because the quiet composure of hers told me that she will be fine and that she will be able to educate her son well enough to take care of her or so I hope.

7 comments:

Rohit Mohan said...

really touching..:)

Varun said...

Well life is tough and the only thing constant is change. wish that change comes to that lady soon to get things better for her..!! :)

Satyadev said...

you met a real person.Your proactive approach is heartwarming.keep it up.

Neha said...

People like these are epitome of grit and determination.....people whom God makes u cross paths for a reality check....people u simply can't but be in awe with...:)

Neha Dua said...

@Rohit - I was really moved..

@varun - I hope, she has a beautiful life ahead :)

@Chacha ji - Can't even tell you what all I was going through when I was with her.

@Neha - Yes, she is an epitome of inspiration. My mind keeps going back to her..

Satyadev said...

Neha, Although life is serious business.Lighten it with some humour in your blogs.There are so many comic situations all around us to write about!

Neha Dua said...

Done Chacha ji :) Next will be about my joker ways!