Sunday, October 28, 2012

Happiness oh happiness!

Anyone and everyone I speak to, tells me how they are not happy with their job or relationship or the way they look. They also, tell me how a little more money, a more understanding partner, a few inches loss, a new car will make them perfectly happy. I do the same dear blog, in all the conversations I have, I also harp about how this one more day off from work will make me happy. But suddenly, I have a basic doubt, happiness was never meant to be a function of job multiplied by partner divided by an old car, then how come this equation came into being? In fact, happiness as defined by Wikipedia is a mental or emotional state of well - being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

I have seen a lot of happy people, and they are not happy because they look like Catherine Zeta Jones or have a job to die or have that elusive dream partner but because they like being happy come whatever may. I have seen people go through lowest of lows and still be able to say, that its fine, and that they are good. You know this is what truly inspires me. It is extremely rare to find such people.Top of my mind recall, I can remember only two such people - one my dearest AS, whose only mantra in life is to be happy and to be laugh like there is no tomorrow. The other is my lovely roommate from MBA days who has contentment written all over her; she is always happy and at peace. But sadly, if I think about people who nag I have a long unending list. It is as if nagging has become fashionable. Anyone who doesn't nag becomes an alien in this world bereft of happiness.

It is a common read these days, that how the happiness index has gone down, how our forefathers were a whole lot happier race. This could be simply because our forefathers had fewer things and relationships to maintain, keep and protect. But what is the point of amassing wealth and friends, if none is bringing happiness to our countenance as was originally thought. This has to change dear blog and this will because you and I together, are going to tell a whole lot of people that being happy is in fashion and how nagging is just not the in thing anymore. Just imagine, seeing happy faces all around, what a brilliant sight it will be!

Happiness O happiness
Where are you
Embrace once again

For the world is waiting for you

6 comments:

Satyadev said...

bravo!

Satyadev said...

life is a celeberation despite many problems we face in our lives.Happiness comes from our ability to cope.

Rohit Rao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rohit Rao said...

I think people confusion themselves between success and happiness. Success has different meaning for different people. Generally success these days is considered to achieve wealth, fame n power.

People must understand that success and happiness are 2 different aspects. I can be happiness even if i don;t have much power, money or fame.

People want to achieve happiness but confusingly purse success to feel n achieve happiness.

I think we must now understand the difference n shud concentrate on real things which makes us happy bt may not make us feel a successful person.

Satyadev said...

Well said Rohit.However happiness does flow from achieving what you set out to achieve, like losing a few kilos,landing a good job,winning battle against serious illness etc.
And for a person like me the joy of playing with grandchildren!

Neha Dua said...

Rohit - I agree, I agree :)

Chachaji - thanks for your encouragement!