Sunday, February 26, 2012

You must be the change you want to see in the world

The title of my post is my favorite quote and I always felt that it says a thousand words. It sometimes act as an inspiration and at other times, makes me introspect. There are things which I claim to be passionate about but when it comes to making a difference, I either feel tired or overwhelmed by the entire idea. It is true to a great extent that one in an ocean will not matter much but it does matter and I have started realizing this and thankfully so. Its only the other day, when my granny (badi mummy) had come over to our place, she who was once the most beautiful woman has now become frail and small but well that's not the point. The point is that I took her along to a mall in Noida and to reach the mall there is a crossover bridge. We were generally walking at our own pace, when suddenly mommy realized that she wasn't comfortable using the escalator, not that she hasn't been on it before, but for some strange reason she was scared that day. Mommy comforted her and told me and daddy cool to keep going while they will follow us. Badi mummy put her small feet gingerly on the escalator and before I realized, I heard mommy shouting, Badi mummy lost her balance and we saw her falling on the escalator, I and daddy cool started going down but all we saw was terror in mommy's eyes. In an instant, all the worst thoughts crossed my head, but before my eyes flashed something very sweet. There were two guys in their 20s who lifted Badi mummy in their arms, they held her in the same way an infant is held, safe and secure. It was such a touching moment, when they finally reached at the top, I thanked them profusely but they stood there comforting us. Badi mummy was unscathed, we smiled through our tears and I thought silently how easy for those guys it was to be change they wanted to see in the world.

I had some years back seen the TOI Lead India campaign, the one in which a small boy puts all he has to remove a roadblock (a tree trunk) so that traffic could move. While many others were comfortably numb in their positions, he braved rain and the huge tree, he made a difference, if nothing else he was an inspiration for the passersby. The video ends with many people joining him and ultimately, the tree gets removed. Watching that video still gives me goosebumps and I end up thinking what a force can be: one thought, one idea, one person. Recently, with some luck and an acquaintance, I got to know about this couple (ISB Graduates) who started a website: www.thebetterindia.com. Their aim is to write and spread awareness about projects/initiatives where people have made incremental difference to society through education, empowerment, entrepreneurship and so on. It is about real people who do real things and lead a life of contentment. The more I read on the website, the more my faith is reinstated: "You must be the change you want to see in the world"


4 comments:

s4ur4bh said...

:)

satya said...

Looking forward to your next poem

मनोज कुमार said...

सही कहा ... बदलाव की शुरुआत खुद से होनी चाहिए।

Neha Dua said...

:)