Sunday, October 3, 2010

Nameless faces

I have an instinct inkling to talk to young children and most of all the ones I meet on red light crossings, the ones who live and sleep on the sidewalks and who earn their living by selling knick knacks to the people who care to roll down their window shields and thus this post is about two such kids.

There is a little girl, in her tattered old frock who would come running towards me on the Mayur Vihar crossing. She has a wheatish complexion, freckles, golden uncombed hair and a lovely smile. We would sometimes smile at each other when I couldn’t stop and at other times, she would shake her little hand with mine. I would inquire if she has eaten and slept, she would gracefully nod in affirmation. I asked her once what she would want and she asked for a comb and soap. I couldn’t believe the naivety of her answer and so next day gave her what she had asked for. I have never seen the joy which I saw in her eyes in that very moment.

There is a boy too, who is my favorite. He would meet me at the Lodi Road crossing. To say the least, he is a charming and shy boy. He would attract peoples’ attention by making ludicrous faces and then would plead them to buy one of the many things which he would sell. I bought from him a couple of times, the next time I met him I just offered him money because of my lack of motivation to buy any of things he offered. He refused with a sincerity which still lingers on in my mind.

Just when I thought that I would one day see this kids growing up into mature individuals who would have learned to live life on their own terms, they disappeared. The crossings and the sidewalks where they inhabited were suddenly steered cleared of the so called beggars. The CWG as much as brought development and infrastructural pace also left it ripple effects over the nameless faces who are forced to hide somewhere in the unknown streets.

6 comments:

Ankit said...

Good one

Neha Dua said...

Thanks Ankit.

Uday your relationship counselor said...

In these days of Instant Hand Sanitizers used after touching knobs and such at public places, your kindness of shaking hands with a street child stands out from the crowd. Tossing a coin into the hands of the underprivileged is a kindness too. But yours is pure and true.

Neha Dua said...

Thanks Uday, but really I haven't done anything great.

pRasad said...

Nice post..

A little touchy one..:)

Neha Dua said...

Thanks Prasad! Glad you liked the post :)