Sunday, April 25, 2010

Being on the other side of the table!

The title of the post says it all, but the talkative me will still build a story around it, so here I go. I remember the nervous me facing my first interview, I was in school and I was being interviewed for being in the Student council, though all the people who were going to interview me were known to me, I still had butterflies in my stomach and I just prayed that I wouldn't stammer and go blank in front of them. I didn't and ended up being the Vice Head Girl. School got over in an year and now was the time to face the real world, I wanted to get into St Stephen's College, crossed the cut offs and then was called for an interview. I shuddered at the thought, started preparing for the subject, tried to look my best and then went for the interview. I got it and was on top of the world once again. Now, I saw the world with my rose tinted glasses and also thought that interviews were after all not that tough.

But as always, life is never what it seems to be. I began to take my career seriously and started preparing for CAT, with CAT came a lot of associated stuff like GDs and PIs. Slowly and steadily, I was able to cross those hurdles also. Finally, I was staring at the interviews which would make or break my career or at least that's what I felt. I got rejected and selected both, I tasted the feeling of being small, of being at some one else's mercy, of being a rock star and of being able to rule the world in spite of odds. Interviews are a helluva learning experience is what I now feel in hindsight.

Last week was the first time when I sat at the other side of the table, the questions were directed at some one else and I was simply evaluating. I didn't have to think twice about what I should wear or what I would say. Its simple to pass judgements, to say that some one is good or bad. It just takes about a minute for me to decide whether a person should be hired or not. I also feel guilty at times for the power I have to decide but so is nature of my job!

6 comments:

Sandeep said...

Take more than a minute.. Sometimes people need time to show.. they are goood :)

Neha Dua said...

Arre sandy, tu tension naa le.. give them enough time :) wo ek min to thoda exaggeration tha!

Salil said...

why feel guilty..u might me doing justice to them indirectly by not taking them in a role in which they might not fit in..everyone gets his/her due at some point of time:)

Neha Dua said...

True Salil ji, its just a matter of time when people get what they truly deserve! But still feel bad when I have to reject someone :(

Shishir said...

what abt the fact that an interviewer makes up his/her mind as soon as the interviewee enters the room... so wudnt matter even if u gave more than a min...

Neha Dua said...

Shishir, thats a myth.. interviewers don't have any biases till the interview ends, everyone gets a fair chance to prove himself/herself :)